Monday, March 10, 2008

Delight

"All basic decisions are based emotionally. The difficulty is not 'knowing the Bible'; it's getting it into experience. We must feel deeply."
Howard Hendricks

"These affections are the 'spring of action,' the things that set us moving in our lives, that move us to engage in activities. . . I believe that no one is ever changed. either by doctrine, by hearing the Word, or by the preaching or teaching of another, unless the affections are moved by these things." (holy fear, hope, love, holy desire, joy, holy sorrow, gratitude, compassion, zeal, delight)

Jonathan Edwards, Treatise on Religious Affections

So, what is delight-full in my life, that moves me to act?

Delight is an exquisite song that captivates both head and heart at the same time.

Delight is the richly connecting, revelatory, heart-to-heart conversation.

Delight is the feel of pen on paper, the written word, the idea or quote that comes alive on the page, revealing what I could only sense, or giving in words that which I knew was true but could not say.

Delight is walking above tree line in an alpine meadow, and walking a sawtooth ridge with dropoffs on each side.

Delight is my body working as it was meant to work.

Delight is the companionship of a faithful dog, and the charm of a carefree puppy.

Delight is the first cup of coffee in the morning, in the silence and darkness of a new day.

Delight is knowing You in the Word when I'm alone, and in worship in the midst of the people of God.

Delight is speaking just the right words, those that match Your exquisite truth with the emotions appropriate to that truth.

Delight is taking part in the emergence of a disciple, as that person enters into his or her glory.

Delight is in the innocence, and sense of humor, and cuteness of grandsons!

Delight is laying down one's head at the end of the day.

Delight is a fruit pie, homemade, topped with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Delight is the freedom of driving into the sunset.

Delight is a high camp, backpacking, where every bite of food is the best you've ever had.

Delight is when Susan affirms me.

Delight is watching my adult kids interact around the dining room table.

Delight is seeing the dry hills of eastern Washington and western Colorado, dotted by those first trees, filled out with sage brush and pasture grasses, crisscrossed by meandering creeks - and evoking in me that uncanny sense of home, Your pleasure for Your creation, wonderment like I've at last come to the place I was made to inhabit before the world began, a foretaste of heaven, the edge of wilderness.

But even then, Dietrich Bonhoeffer has the last word: "If you seek God alone, you will gain happiness. Seek God, not happiness."

How about you? What brings you delight?

8 comments:

hootenannie said...

Is it bad that the first thing that came to mind was wine and cheese?

Okay. And...

A coffee pot with brew pause so I can pour myself a cup mid-brew.

Having everything on my to-do list checked off.

A balanced checkbook.

Clean sheets on the bed.

A well-written song with a twist at the end.

Being by the water in Seattle on a sunny day.

Real mail.

Puppies.

Shopping sprees at Anthropologie (until I get the bill).

Micah and Tyler.

bec said...

greebs.
maci.
ry ny man.
toad.

nick names? :)

everyone being together.

finding a bargain.

the claders.

wit.

finding money in my pocket.

happy endings.

i could go on for a while!

Shackman said...

Delight is reconnecting with a good friend.

Jeremy Parsons said...

I started rolling and couldn't stop....and it got out of hand so I have condensed it to a few things, instead of a few dozen.

Delight is laughter: when I make my wife laugh, when my kids laugh and can't stop, when friends are together and laugh deeply.

Delight is fresh air, a crisp breeze, fresh dew on wildflowers, a rainstorm while you're inside a really good tent, deep blue sky, a true view of stars in the night sky, huge hanging cornices of snow, avalanches cascading off of Longs Peak's diamond. . . .wilderness.

Delight is $32 at the pump, baby!

And also, (certainly least), delight is March Madness.

Paulandbeth said...

Delight is being at a lake on a beatiful day with a fishing pole in your hand and your wet dog asleep in the sun next to you.

Delight is being in midconversation with your wife and thinking, I'm so glad I married her.

Delight is getting browny points for writing about how you love your wife :)

Delight is watching your children play and thinking about how much you love them, and then you start thinking about how much God loves you.

Delight is seeing grandparents adore their grandkids.

Delight is getting closer to the truth.

Delight is a job well done, that you weren't sure you could do.

Delight also seems to have something to do with march madness

Andrea said...

Delight is:

A big drink of cold water after a good workout.

Lying on the floor in the sun and maybe taking a nap.

Putting my face close to Ellie's as she sleeps.

Laughter

Enjoying a long, hot and quiet shower.

Watching and listening to James Taylor on PBS, sitting next to my husband and best friend.

Slipping into clean sheets at the end of the day.

Watching my parents take delight in Ellie.

Somerset Merlot wine

S'mores by the campfire with dear friends.

Dave Van said...

De-Light is that device in the middle of a one room apartment from which hangs a string that cannot be found at night unless you have that other de-flash light in the other hand.

De-light is what I’d like to be as opposed to the de-heavy that I am.

De-light is the beer that is most ordered in de-bar.

De-light is the fantastic that my wife would like for me to trip once in a while.

Delight is the Sunny beverage we all love.

However, the Desires of the Heart are what results when one Delights in the Lord. Ps 37:4

THE PARSONS said...

I loved this post. thanks for asking the question.
for me delight is....
*snowflakes
*seeing tiny green buds peek out after a brutal and harsh winter
*the first moments I met my sons, after surviving difficult pregnancies and natural labors
*watching someone else enjoy a book or movie that has moved me (if you haven't seen it, see Once)
*long, meandering talks with Jeremy where we laugh, hold hands, and marvel at the gift of each other
*a good meal shared with those dear to me
*family - all of you
*developing true, close relationships where friends become like family
*music that moves the deep parts of my soul
*pushing a button that makes a shutter snap and artistically captures a piece of life that will never be again
*looking at the result of the previous action ;)
*Leej's scrunched up smiley face and overflowing personality
*micah's belly laugh while watching the Simpsons with his daddy contrasted with his current obsession with spelling
*the way colorado air feels in my lungs
*the way the red dirt smells after a rain in Africa
*taking risks, regardless of the outcome
*observing people who live in their glory, and learning from them
*finally finding beauty and redemption in the mess