Saturday, August 9, 2008

If You Can't Get Out Of It, Get Into It


It's been a full two months since I even have attempted to sit down and write. A wilderness time for me. I have languished in the in-betweenness of my life, not sure where it's headed, not clear what my job description at work is yet, and certainly not sure what God is wanting from me, at least in terms of direction. I belong to and have poured my best energies into a denomination which is self-destructing, and there is no sense of security that it will hold together long enough to get to retirement years. I have pastored in four wonderful churches, our personal, visible investments in each certainly diminished if not exposed as failed. Many of the relationships that mattered the most to me here in Kansas City in the last 5 years have been damaged. So, I have thought a lot about worth. What has worth?


Over the last two weeks, I have been in Colorado, helping lead two mens' climbing groups. We successfully got55 of 56 men and boys to the top of at least one "14er," a summit whose elevation is above 14,000 feet. At least 14 of those men summitted their very first 14er. It's a very rewarding experience to help "midwife" this kind of life experience, especially when it draws men closer together (because they need each other), brings men to life changing transformation through Jesus Christ (because they need Him), and exposes men to a new lifestyle in which they take care of themselves and the creation. It was helpful to me, because it provided a climate in which to think about what is worthy. . . that is, what has worth.


That's what I'm going to write about over the next few weeks. Any of you who never have a qualm or fear or wonderment about "worth," you can skip this blog site for a while. But for those of you who, like me, struggle with a sense of lost worth or confusion about what really matters, or who cry out for meaning and significance and don't want to miss what God might have in mind. . .I want to share what God's been illuminating to me.


In Outward Bound, the outdoor training program that challenges people to take responsibility for their lives, they have a saying: "If you can't get out of it, get into it." That is, if you can't evade the circumstances you are in, if the issue won't die, if the storm or the cliffband or the injury or the lack of equipment won't disappear, face it. Throw yourself at it. Turn your full attention to it. Take responsibility for what you have control over.


So, ironically, here's the first and foremost thing I am re-learning about worth. Worth begins, ALWAYS, in the heart of God. Worth and significance are found in the love of God. Period. And my part, what I have responsibility for in order to find my way into that love and thus to hear that worth experientially, is to surrender to His love.


In these two weeks, I have had time to sit with the Word of God, allowing the Holy Spirit space, I guess, to imprint pictures somewhere inside of me; to mediate truth in head and heart, making it come alive to me in Scriptures like this one:


"How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, O Israel?
My heart recoils within Me;
My compassion grows warm and tender.

I taught Ephraim to walk. . . but they did not know that I healed them.
I led them with cords of kindness with the bonds of love;
and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and led them.

I will not execute my burning anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and not a man, the Holy One in your midst,
and I will not come in wrath." Hosea 11:3,4,8,9

And this:

"Fear not, O Zion; let not your hands grow weak.
The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty One who will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love;
He will exult over you with loud singing (some translations say "He will dance over you").
I will gather those of you who mourn for the festival, so that you will no longer suffer reproach."

Zephaniah 3:16-18

And this:

"This I know, that God is for me." Psalm 56:9

So, whatever the events of my (and your?) life that scream worthlessness, or at least the questions about what matters in your life,

and especially if you find that you can't get out of having to deal with such questions,

I would recommend that you press into the storm and discover that in the awfulness of self-doubt and woundedness and feeling like a loser, you would discover there is One awaiting you in the hard place who also knows the pain of self-doubt ("Father, is there another way?"), aloneness ("Father, where are You?"), and resolution ("Father, into Your hands I surrender"). Because of love.

So, if you can't get out of it, get into it.


7 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for coming back to the blog, Paul! I can't wait for your upcoming blog series. It was good to see you in Montrose!

La Perfectionista said...

ah, at last. such honest, wise and insightful words straight from the head and heart of paul, a precious child of God. that precious child he made just as he envisioned. gifted in so many ways, and especially with words. gifted with the rare ability to make difficult subjects so easy to grasp and sensitive subjects so easy to swallow. whose words speak to so many in ways he'll never know until his day in Glory. i'll stay tuned for your thoughts on worth. and however long between posts, it's totally worth the wait. thanks for coming back.

Andrea said...

Paul, so glad that you are blogging again and I'm really looking forward to all of your thoughts on this subject. This has reminded me of something I heard when Eric Weihenmayer, the first blind man to summit Everest, was speaking to our group. He said, "Life is an ongoing process of reaching towards unseen possibilities. If you run into adversity while reaching out, turn into the storm and stand in its midst. Harness the energy of the storm and go somewhere you could not have gone otherwise. Greatness is reached by squaring off with adversity." Erik Weihenmayer -The only blind man to climb the 7 Summits

paluga said...

I will not be skipping this blog site for a while.

Sarah said...

Dad! So glad to see your return...and the wisdom that comes with it. I am reminded of what God has been teaching me this entire summer - to never lack in zeal, giving myself fully to the Lord, because it is not in vain.

Because even when a girl in my bible study on Ephesians 3 weeks before the summer concludes asks me what Ephesians is...I must remember that if I have given myself fully to His calling, then I haven't wasted His opportunity. Because - worth has nothing to do with us and everything to do with Him.

Love you so much. See you soon!

hootenannie said...

"If you can't get out of it, get into it"... this might become my mantra for living in Nashville.

Looking forward to future posts on worth.

Choo Choo said...

He's baaaaaaack!!!!
Dang, Paul. When you decide to take the stage it is impossible to stop paying attention.
And my goodness what a shot you fired across the bow of self-doubt. Love you much.