Monday, February 4, 2008

Desires

I'll tell you what I'm passionate about. I love coffee.

I love the coffee bean itself. Especially the darkest of dark, bold coffee beans. The kind that make wimpish people faint. The kind that keep untrained people up all night, or leaves them jittery at their desks after the first two sips.

I love espresso (triple-tall-with-room Americano). Or a great French press coffee, like my son makes. But it has to be strong.

I love my "with-room" filled with a shot of heavy whipping cream, or, if there's none available, half and half. It doesn't doll up the coffee as if it's a desert, but the sweetness is nonetheless like a vacation.

I love my coffee in a ceramic cup. Just because it feels right. And not a "busy" cup with all kinds of writing or drawings on it. A simple cup that says, if anything, something like "Colorado Smiles" on it.

I love the right coffee shop. Like Homer's or Hattie's or the Coffee Trader. Someplace that doesn't remind me of a franchise. And has used newspapers laying around.

I love it when I get the right barista. The ones that know my name and who pray for me when there's a death in my family and who have never met my wife but always ask how she's been doing since her brain surgery.

You see, I love coffee. It's one of the few pleasures that I cultivate. I'm pretty simple when it comes to desires, and this is one of my favorite.

St. Augustine had a lot to say about desires. He believed, he knew, that desires are not to be cast aside as if obstructions to the Christian life. Rather, he came to understand that God takes our desires, as warped and corrupted as many of them begin, and transforms them. "You drove all fruitless joys from me, You who are the true, the sovereign Joy. You drove them from me and took their place, You who are sweeter than all pleasure." (Augustine, Confessions) Such talk is riveting. . . and alarming. I have a lot invested in coffee. Some things, I say to myself, would be better left untransformed. . . don't you think, God?

And so it was that our daughter Sarah popped up with an idea recently. Sarah, our youngest, a sophomore nursing student at William Jewell College, and passionate about Africa. A dangerous woman, dangerous to the accepted norms of suburban, consumeristic, self-centered living, Sarah said, "I want to give up drinking anything but water over Lent this year, and give all that I would have spent on drinks to Blood:Water Mission. And to get as many people as I can to join me in doing this." For those of you who've never heard of Blood:Water Mission, it's a mission started by Jars of Clay to drill clean water wells in villages all over Africa. For $1, you can supply clean water to a child for a year in Africa. Of all of Africa's challenges, one of the most crippling and most easily solved is the lack of clean water. Sarah wants to make a difference, and here she was saying, "I'm going to do something about it."

So am I. And so is my wife Susan (as usual, she made up her mind before I did). And yesterday, far more importantly than anything related to the Super Bowl, three women in my wife's Sunday School class said, "Count me in." And they were going to go tell their friends and family about it.

That's why I'm telling you. Lent starts on Wednesday. And not only is the chance to do something for others, but it might, just might, be a part of the providential and sovereign hand of God transforming desire in you.

25 comments:

Jeremy Parsons said...

I'll have a really really strong cup of french pressed coffee for you after lent.

Happy Birthday.

The Redford Family said...

Paul
Thanks for sharing your heart & your daughters heart. Your challenge is one we all need to heed. God has so much for us, but in so many ways we allow "good" things to get in the way of the "best." Sarah has been an encouragement, though I don't know her personally - just through your sharing, as our daughter seems to be coming up behind her in how she is choosing to use her life. She both challenges us & encourages us everyday with her dedication to orphans. Her blog is http://artsfororphans.blogspot.com if you want to hear her heart. Many blessings to you & your family. I look forward to reading your thoughts!
Kelly Redford
PS . . .belated Happy Birthday

katy crews said...

Have a very happy birthday, Pastor Paul! I appreciated your message about not over-emphasizing works or words but rather hormonizing them. You are a real blessing to our church :).

Andrea said...

We are so glad that you have started a blog and will definitely be regulars here. I am so excited to hear about Sarah's passion for Africa. Through my business, Arbonne, my upline has offered that when I do 8 presentations in February, she is going to donate $500 to build a water well in Africa and when my direct sponsor does 8, an entire well will be built because of that. It is so amazing to hear how the Lord is putting this desire in different people and going to use us for a purpose much bigger than ourselves!

Laura said...

Hi Paul! I'm glad to see that you've started a blog and I've already added it to my reading list! Good luck not drinking coffee, I hope you wean off so as to avoid headaches. I'll have to tell my friend Jena (the true founder of Blood:Water
Missions) about this, it will bless her very much!

Ron Wheeler said...

Hey Paul, Happy Birthday! You're still forty-something, aren't you? I am. I had my birthday last Sunday. I'm now forty-fourteen.

THE PARSONS said...

Happy Birthday, dad!!! Can't wait to celebrate tonight with you and we are gonna drink more strong coffee tonight in preparation for your fast than EVER BEFORE!!! ;)
I love you and I am thankful for you!
-ash-

Unknown said...

Just remember God created coffee and water and cream but not the cup. Sugar might be a stretch. It is good to give up a God given gift now and then to remember the creator and let His water to flow to others. Now you got me thinking...what can I give up while in Israel teaching for three weeks during Lent. Would my wife's tender touches be too easy? Love ya brother. Gary Hixson

BobB said...

Paul,
I've known about the coffee thing for a long time. And I know Climbing 14ers holds a similar place in your heart. But its been your heart for God and His people that has allowed you to share your heart vulnerably with us that sets you apart. You truly have a pastor's heart, and you've been a great source of joy over the years.
Bob B

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Dad! I am excited to see that your encouragement is reaching others...I am thankful for the encouragement you and Mom give me on a daily basis - even in things like giving up coffee!!! I'm going to miss it too!

Love you.

Bob T said...

Paul,
Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing your heart with us each week and for pressing us to use our heads. Be blessed!

bret eubank said...

happy birthday pastor paul! are you in your 60s? you know that spring training is only a few weeks away. looks to be another lost season for the royals and orioles (no realistic chance at the post-season for either franchise). i hope you know that you are loved and megan and i are grateful for you and your family.

hootenannie said...

And just like that, the Starbucks on 119th and Lamar went out of business.

jeanine said...

Pastor Paul,
I heard through Katy,and got the link to your blog, that it is your birthday- Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a fabulous day! I really enjoyed reading your blog- I love coffee as well! I didn't know about the mission for Africa, but I am so thankful to know now! What a great way to help! I am so thankful to GOD that he lead me to Colonial and to you and all those I have been blessed to meet! I hope the rest of your B-day is great! I can't wait to hear more of your wonderful insights! Jeanine Herman

Dan said...

They say it's your birthday!
Happy birthday to you!
Good to read and hear what God is doing in your heart. And head.

grace

bec said...

dang, someone is a popular blogger already!

happy birthday. i'm happy i can be here in person to celebrate for once!

your gift list was difficultly cut in half, however, since coffee was no longer an option.

Paulandbeth said...

I might just have to go make myself a cup after reading that. Can't beat a cup of hot, bold coffee. I prefer mine black. I highly recommend the whole foods 365 organic brand bold, I think it's called pacific rim. It's great and only $9.99 for 20 oz of whole beans.

Anonymous said...

I am also pretty dang excited that you now have a blog. I, for one, enjoy it for the chance to let bits of writing out for familiar eyes.

Happy Birthday and Happy Blogging. :-)

Carol, Genny, Lucy, and Oliver said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR PAUL
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!
glad you joined the blogging world
love, the walkers

Matt said...

Hey Paul, This is Matt at Blood:Water Mission. I heard about your blog post and was wondering if we could share your story in our February Newsletter reminding people about Lenten Season. Shoot me an email if you get this. Matt.ward@bloodwatermission.com

Chad Metcalf said...

You second post and you're already getting big-time corporate sponsors knocking at you door wanting to make you famous. I hope that you don't change when you are famous. . .except you'll probably want only siphon bar coffee. And you'll probably wear only big fur coats. But that's cool, because you'll be the same on the inside. At least we can say that we knew you when.

Happy birthday, yesterday!

Chad & Alysia

Nick said...

Paul,

Warm coffee greetings from Indy! Your blog brings back so many great memories of hearing you preach on Sunday mornings. We miss you and Colonial but are encouraged by being able to read your writings. Please send our greetings to Sarah. Sorry we mised saying hello Christmas Eve, but we loved the service and your sermon. Nick and Sherri

vailinstructing said...

Didn't I tell you this was easy and you are a natural for this medium?
I really liked incorporating Augustine's thoughts on pleasure.

Happy Birthday!

Bill Brodine

Tanya Hanna said...

Now that I have read ALL of your blog I sure wish I had known your idea about giving up all drinks for Lent (esp. since I'm NOT a coffee lover) before I chose desserts...it would have been a whole lot easier but I guess that isn't the point,huh? Fun Valentine Party with you and Susan tonight.

Blessings, Tanya (and "Sweet" William too. :)

the fly said...

pastor paul,
i'm not very devoted to self-denial, even in this holy season.
but after reading about sarah's passion for wells in africa, i've decided to join her in supporting blood:water mission by matching whatever i spend on coffee/diet coke as a donation.
i've read some of your blogs--thank you for sharing your heart and your gift of writing. i'm a pastor in the kc area, so maybe someday our paths will cross.
rgw (gracepeacehopelove.blogspot.com)