Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Good Son

When my mother's health began to fail in earnest in 2005, tiny strokes whittled her down to a memory of her real self. My wife Susan and I cared for her daily for the next two years, visiting her and taking care of her as best we could in the skilled care facilities in which she lived. And even though she showed signs that the end was coming, I still was not prepared to watch her suddenly die in front of my eyes. On Father's Day, 2007.


In the time that followed that afternoon, Susan needed to help take care of our grandsons back at home. And so I waited for the funeral home to come pick up Mother's body, all alone for a while in her nursing home room, trying to fathom the presence of body and absence of person. I was quiet and a bit numb. Before anyone from the funeral home arrived, in walked my son Jeremy and daughter-in-law Ashley. I stood up to hug them and, to my surprise, fell into my son's arms, crying. Gasping out the words, "I hope Daddy would have been proud of me." A good son.

You see, when my father was dying from cancer 18 years earlier, he confessed to my brother and me in private that he feared dying because it would leave Mother all alone. He was worried about what would happen to her. He knew she was emotionally fragile and had been highly dependent on him all their married life. Both my brother and I immediately promised him that we would take care of her, and that he had no need to worry. A week later, Daddy was gone. A year later, my brother died at his own hand. I had lived with the promise I made to my father ever since. A promise to be "a good son."

And now, with no more chance to live this promise out, the first thing that burst out of me was this yearning to have my father's approval, to hear his "well done," to know that he was proud of me, and that indeed, in the heart of the one man from whom it most mattered, I was valued as a good son. An approval I cannot access.

But there was mystery being unveiled at Mother's bedside that day. I guess that in the months since June, I have gained eyes to see that the young man who held me is the very definition of what it means to be a good son. Emotionally vulnerable and accessible, responsible, compassionate, a great husband, a 5-star father, playful, easy-going, funny, a bridge-builder, a godly man, sincere, complimentary, complementary, honest. . .Jeremy is all I ever could have wanted in a son. I am so very proud of him. I cannot take credit for most of what is good in that man's heart and life; his mother and his Master I believe are far more of the story.

A good son. Who was born today, 28 years ago.

6 comments:

hootenannie said...

My birthday is August 4.

Dad, I love reading your writing. You give such a wide window into your heart, and I love what I see. I think that you WERE a good son. And I know that you ARE a good dad.

THE PARSONS said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Jeremy, and I am sure that these words mean more to him and I than you will ever know. thank you.

bec said...

you were a wonderful son to grandmom. even when your actions felt futile, you continued to try. even after a full day of work and appointments, you took the time to visit her. and in her final moments, she was not alone, because you were there then too.

and your role as a dad reflects the same kind of continual allegiance.

Chuck said...

Paul:

Our hearts are transformed most at the crossroads of life. Those intersecting events that bring us face to face with the reality of who we are and long to be. It seems your mother's death and the following months have provided such a moment. A time to stop, ponder the journey past, consider the road ahead, and eventually press onward.

My mom passed away almost four years ago. When her leukemia returned after a brief remission, the doctor's prognosis of months quickly turned to weeks. Even when we thought she had days, it turned out to be a matter of hours.

When my brother called me to tell me mom was gone, it was 11:30 at night. Debi was out of town and I was by myself. I remember crying out to my brother "I am all alone." It was a horrible place to be and one I will never forget, not because of the pain but the grace that followed over the years.

I didn't realize it at the time but that moment was a crossroad for me. Even though I did not get to say good bye to my mom in those last days, I will never forget the last time she told me "I love you" on the phone. Her voice was feeble but the words were strong and they mean more to me today than when they were spoken. They compel me to talk more often with my dad and siblings. They remind me to hug my children more tightly and tell them how proud I am of them. They motivate me to love Debi more selflessly with the gift of each day.

While I don't know your children, it gives me great joy to read of their love and admiration for you. The transformation of a good son to a good father.

Blessings,

Chuck

"Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul."

Jeremiah 6:16

Jeremy Parsons said...

Dad,
The older I get, the less I have figured out. But what I do get a clearer picture for after every year gone by is that you are a good man, and a good dad and I'm proud to be your son.

Thank you for kind words of love today.

JP

Laura said...

I have to admit, this blog entry leaves me a bit teary eyed. I have come to realize lately that the wonderful thing about family is that they will continue to love you even if you aren't perfect. And none of us are. It's a small glimpse of God's love for us.