Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Looking for a View

I’m spoiled. Spoiled by the views I’ve been allowed to see. Our years in Washington and Colorado were filled with the intoxication of creation. We have been given the extraordinary honor of gawking at bald eagles in southwest Alaska, slithering through slot canyons in the San Rafael Swell, backpacking on glacial moraines in Banff National Park, sitting mouth agape on Chinook Pass staring at the massive hulk of Mt. Rainier, reflecting in an unmarked Anasazi fortress on Cedar Mesa where some apparently made their last stand, clinging to the sides of monster peaks that threaten to throw you off in order to see something that not a dozen other lucky people will see that year or maybe ever. You see, I really am spoiled. Sometimes, on low days I cry because I miss belonging in that world of views.


In contrast, I had never found a view that came remotely close to this in the Midwest, where we now live. I had gone off excited for daytime adventures in many directions from Kansas City, returning sad and lonely and discouraged from many. . .no, most of those attempts. I couldn’t find a view which made my heart beat fast and filled my eyes with tears because what I was seeing was so filled with glory that I could hardly bear it.



But I found one. I found a view in the Midwest.

A year ago this month, after studying the Buffalo National River guidebooks and maps for a year, I got up one day at 4:30 AM and drove to Arkansas. I picked my way through Harrison and traveled winding roads up into the Ozarks. I hiked to the Hawksbill Crag, which, I must say, was a disappointment. I hiked on a meandering loop trail for several miles to caves and waterfalls and, honestly, it was better than city streets. . .but I’m confessing to you that I’m a snob. I’m SPOILED, okay?! And finally, as the sun was dropping, I sped down the Center Point Trail to Hemmed-in Hollow (only in the Ozarks, eh?)to get as much mileage as I could before dark, in search for a little side trail called Billy Goat Bluff. Because I had a hunch that something might await me there.

After finding the turnoff, I proceeded to move further and further across the face of this limestone face, until the Buffalo River, with greens and blues and silt showed down to my right and ahead of me. And then, all of a sudden I was seized by joy and sat down in wonder and took the picture you see below, looking straight down through my feet. . . at a view. A really, really great view. One that made me cry for happiness, one filled with such glory that I could hardly bear it.


It all reminds me that there is another, far more important view that we are to long for and to seek. David said, “One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after, that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD” (Psalm 27:4, ESV) The apostle Paul said, “Remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your heart enlightened. . .” (Ephesians 1:17) Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” (John 11:40) We are to long for eyes to see. To see what really matters, what is the true, the good and the beautiful. That is, to see God and, by gazing upon Him, to see everything else around you through His eyes.

So, when we look at our neighbor we might remember, “that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship. . . There are no ordinary people. You never talked to a mere mortal.” (C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory). Do you see people as God does? And that includes yourself?

And when you look at the desperate wreckage of the circumstances surrounding you, do you see the possibilities of God? “[A person] who does not know the rhythm of desperation and deliverance must have his sights only on what man can achieve.” (John Piper)

And when you stare stunned at the awe-full realities of creation, are you so impoverished that that is all you can see? Or is there more? “The beauty of the world is Christ’s tender smile for us coming through matter. . . There was a man who dwelt in the east centuries ago. And now I cannot look at a sheep or a sparrow, or a lily or cornfield, or a raven or a sunset, a vineyard or a mountain without thinking of him.” (G.K.Chesterton)

Now, that’s a view.

11 comments:

bec said...

first comment indeed!!

i too, am a colorado snob. lately, when meeting people for the first time, they ask those initial get to know you questions. what i do, where i am from, etc. even though i have been a bouncer for many years now, i still tell them i am from colorado. and that i miss it!

but i think you're right, that even places like the midwest have beautiful things to offer. for me, it's meeting really awesome people. and of course living near family! and gabers came from missouri!

Dan said...

For Paul,

canyons of concrete
and so the valley floor
the wind bit cold and shrill
leaves and litter confused my path
the cars were old,
from another part of town
emptiness expanding
lonliness entertained
a soul overwhelmed
my song of praise turned mute
for I stood in the wonder
that God made man to do so much

grace, in seeing the city

Sarah said...

Man, that second picture is old school, tinted-glasses and all.

Nice to talk to you a couple of times today. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the Wetterhorn photo... brought back memories of the first 14er outings.

Anonymous said...

You quoted two of my favorite men (Lewis and Chesterton), three including Jesus, of course. Truly, the quote from The Weight of Glory is a favorite and one that has inspired many writings.

Oh, that we might have the eyes to see his glory where it lies - and the courage to ask for it.

hootenannie said...

Dad, I hear that you were out in the bed of Becca's truck early this morning, in the freezing cold, with a flashlight, taking off the cover so Mom could go buy my table. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to think that I couldn't even climb out of bed to put my feet on a cold hardwood floor...

THE PARSONS said...

beautiful words, dad. I know your eyes are not through seeing the many views that will bring you to tears...just wait till you see Africa first hand.

Choo Choo said...

Summitting a 14er is all about the view. But whether you or on a summit or in a valley, isn't glory about whether you let your eyes or your heart define the view before you?

This post brought back fond memories of an old Colin Raye song that I had not thought of for a long time. The title is "What if Jesus Comes Back Like That." Here are the lyrics:

He came to town on an old freight train
He jumped off in the pouring rain
Everybody said he's insane
Just a low down no account hobo

He made his bed beneath the county bridge
The city folks said "Hey, that's not his."
They signed a petition, they're gonna get rid
Of that low down no account white trash.

First Chourus:
What if Jesus comes back like that
On an old freight train in a hobo hat
Will we let him in or turn our back
What if Jesus comes back like that

Born with a habit of drug abuse
She couldn't help what her mama used
It wasn't like she got to choose
Now she's layin' there all alone

Got a monkey on her back
Nurses say they never saw a smile like that
Doctor says she might stand a chance
If somebody takes her home

Second Chorus:
What if Jesus comes back like that
Two months early and hooked on crack
Will we let him in or turn our back
Oh, what if Jesus came back like that

Bridge:
Nobody said life is fair
We've all got a cross to bear
When it gets a little hard to care
Just think of Jesus hanging there

He came to town on a cold dark night
A single star was his only light
The baby born that silent night
A manger for his bed

Last Chorus:
What if Jesus came back like that
Where will he find our hearts are at
Will he let us in or turn his back
Hey what if Jesus came back like that
Yeah what if Jesus came back like that
Will he cry when he sees where our hearts are at
Will he let us in or turn his back
Hey what if Jesus comes back like that
Oh what if Jesus comes back like that.

Pretty good stuff, uh?

So I guess you and Colin are both saying the same thing: no matter what the "view" is before us, the only thing that matters is the prism we choose to see it through ----- the Lord's or our own. Thanks for the reminder, Paul.

Rebecca said...

(this is Becky Wieder blogging)

Paul, how blessed I am to have found your blog and I know that Matt will feel the same way when he discovers it too!!!! I can't completely explain why, but I got tears in my eyes as I read your blog. I guess it is because ever since I worked at first Pres years ago as a young, college intern, God has used your words to pierce my heart. Thank you for being a vessel for Him, a vessel that is both head and heart.

Dave Van said...

Sounds like a wonderful illustration for a new sermon by Dr Paul Parsons entitled "The Beatific Vision". Now I know that Spurgeon may have already beat you to it by about 150 years; however I think the world, at least Colonial, may be ready for a fresh view. Thank you for this installment.

Dave Van

Jeremy Parsons said...

Dad,
Good stuff. A view is best, but sometimes the thrill of the unknown haunts me the most and sticks with me like a view. Remember the summit of Crestone Needle, socked in with clouds? Strangely haunting, though we couldn't see 40 feet. And wow, the spiritual analogies that come from this: even in your times of blindness, the scenery is no less wild and incredible - keep stepping ahead and. . . .

Wait, I should be blogging this.