Thursday, February 28, 2008

Significance

My wife and I served a church for 14 years in Western Colorado. Montrose was all the home we ever wanted, and First Presbyterian Church was all the church home we ever wanted. It was where we raised our kids. Every Christmas Eve, it was our family that made up the choir for "Peace, Peace" alongside the Claders. We were the ones to shut down the church building after 3 services, with wax on the carpet and the elements of Communion to be disposed of. I buried 92 of the church's members while I was there, and married 36 of their young ones. I preached 534 sermons in 732 Sundays. I loved every person that God gave to us. Susan was the first to greet every new person on a Sunday morning, taking note of who was new from her station behind the piano, leading worship. By the grace of God, we helped grow that church from 200 to 500 in average attendance in our years there.


In the last few days, we got word that the pastor who followed me to that congregation has resigned, because of a no-confidence vote by the elders. During the three years he has been there, they have lost a lot of their people, including some who I would consider pillars of the church. I can't tell how much of that is because of his blunders or how much of it is because of other issues or people. All I know is that the remnant who are still in that church are bitterly divided over whether he should be leaving. There is some question in many minds whether the church will survive the trauma and division of it all. All of this in an intensely short period of time, as time goes. A vibrant, healthy congregation mostly destroyed in a few months.

The truth is that I have served 4 different churches, and most of what I have invested my life in for 32 years has fallen apart in all of them.


Now, I know that to most of you reading this, what happens to this congregation in a distant town, one that you will never visit, matters little. But it raises the question of significance for us all.


Where does personal significance come from? How do you measure it? Is personal significance something you or I control? I won't pretend that I know the answers to all of this. But I think God keeps impressing upon me a sense of what really matters.


I think significance is experienced in suffering, far more than what is taken to be success. Even as the apostle Paul wrestled with personal significance and concluded that it had something to do with knowing Jesus Christ "and the power of His resurrection, sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, that if possible I might attain to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11) It would appear that significance has more to do with knowing God through Jesus Christ, which will ultimately come by finding Him in the midst of our sufferings, than with the outer trappings of accomplishment.


And I also believe this: significance is a gift from God, not a reward for what we have accomplished. At the very least, as Augustine said, He is the only One who discerns the ultimate significance of any moment in a person's life (The Way That Leads There, G. Meilander). It's not a work or the result of our work. Our worth and significance in this broken world is something God chose in His hesed love, that particular love out of which He makes promises that bind us to Him and to His people. It is conferred upon us, and upon the emotionally and mentally and physically challenged, and upon the poor and weak and the depressed and the have-nots and the outsiders and the marginalized. . . because it is what is in His heart, not because of what we have done. "For if while we were still enemies of God we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more . . . shall we be saved by His life." (Romans 5:10)

Something else seems clear to me. Significance is manifested in relationships. That is, when God's gift of value and meaningfulness dawns on us, the way it shows up, is reflected, is in relationships. In love. What we believe is no small matter. But the only way it is clear that one knows God and thus "believes" is by its fruit: love. "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?. . .I will show you my faith by my works." (James 2:14, 18) "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." (I John 4:8)

It says to me that the weightiness of our lives will be found in the long run in knowing God through suffering. And that we will see it in the eyes of the people we love.


5 comments:

Bob T said...

Most of the time my significance is tied to my work and what I can accomplish. If I'm not very productive or am learning something new or watching an investment in time and energy fall apart, my sense of significance goes down the tubes. If I can remember to "do everything for the glory of God" (I Cor 10:31) then it becomes less important whether the job is grand or trivial - sometimes. I don't know how you measure it. All I can do is offer it to God.
Bob T

Dave Van said...

That other Pastor Paul summed it up this way:

2Corinthians 4:15-18
For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory(significance) beyond all comparison,
as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.


Your post certainly brings this down to where the “rubber meets the road” as J Vernon McGee used to say. Thank you for your godly insights.

hootenannie said...

"Significance is a gift from God, not a reward for what we have accomplished."

This should become a mantra for me.

Dan said...

Braveheart,
You tread waters that are both deep and swirling and show much courage in opening your heart.

There is so much to think about as one looks back upon life. Again I say that I think significance is highly overrated.

Consider the disciples who were so stinking successful that when they reported their work to Jesus he said he saw Satan falling from heaven (in connection with their work!?!) To those who did so much, he said something about rejoicing that their names were recorded in heaven.

The one who could walk on the heights with the grace of a mountain deer said he would be happy in God even if everything else fell apart.

At the same time the apostle said he that even though it was grace he worked harder than the rest and told us all to work hard because our labor is not in vain.

Somewhere there is a balance. Suffering is the most common doorway to find it, yet suffering too is trecherous. It's own swift torrents can pull a person away from the center of grace.

For now I tend to think that significance is not something a person pursues because in the pursuit self rises higher than God. Rather significance is a gift, not usually much realized until a person gives up that search and prizes the Lord significance more than anything else.

grace, always

Andrea said...

These are all questions I was asking while sitting in the congregational meeting yesterday in regards to this church body. How did it get to this point? So far from the seemingly unified, loving body in which I grew up. I have no answers except that the Lord's grace is enormous and He will work it all to His glory and for His people's good.